The Board is the governing body of Basketball Australia. The Board derives its authority from the process of election to the Board by Members of the Company and appointment to the Board by Directors as provided for in the Company Constitution. The Board upholds the Company Constitution.
The Board’s primary roles are:
- To set the strategic objectives of the Company,
- To approve the annual budget for the Company,
- To determine the risk appetite of the Company and ensure appropriate risk management strategies are in place, and
- To ensure the Company is meeting its legislative and regulatory obligations, including the Mandatory Governance Principles as set by the Australian Sports Commission.
Basketball Australia (BA) is accountable to its Members through the Board and is governed by its Constitution. The Board exercises governance through its Governance and Delegations Policies and other By-Laws. Operational decisions regarding organisational functions are the responsibility of the CEO in accordance with the appropriate delegated authority.
The BA Constitution establishes a Nominations Committee to consider and determine appropriate candidates to be put forward for election as a Director under the Constitution.
The Constitution then further details the process for election of Directors by the Members of Basketball Australia.
BA is seeking applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill four Director positions commencing May 2021.
- One position on a 4 year term
- One position elected to fill vacancy for a 3 year term
- One position on a 2 year term
- One position elected to fill vacancy for a 1 year term
As Members of the Board, Directors share ultimate responsibility for BA’s overall success. Directors are expected to work together to carry out the following roles:
- Help to ensure the highest standards of governance and leadership at BA at all times.
- Assist in BA’s strategic planning to ensure the leadership and growth of BA.
- Be confident that at any time there are adequate resources available based on budget or act to address it.
- Help monitor the performance of BA, including developing and using realistic Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Listen to BA's members and key stakeholders, and work to ensure BA manages and responds to them appropriately, helping maintain positive working relations with stakeholders.
- Assist in finding the next generation of BA Directors.
- Be prepared for Board meetings or acknowledge at the commencement of meetings not having had the opportunity to prepare as well as desired.
- Maintain BA’s solidarity; be prepared to consider and debate matters within the confines of the Board, with informed and meaningful arguments, and to publicly support BA’s ultimate decisions.
- Perform their duties on an assigned sub-committee or Commission effectively (if relevant).
To be eligible for election as a Member-elected Director, candidates must as a minimum:
- Demonstrate commitment to a strong governance regime for Basketball in Australia, with a good understanding of the role of Boards and individual Directors in the governance of sport;
- Demonstrate commitment to the Company developing policies and strategies for Basketball;
- Not be involved in activities which could, or could reasonably be perceived to, materially interfere with the candidate’s ability to act in the best interests of the Company;
- Be free from any interest and any relationship which could, or could reasonably be perceived to, materially interfere with the nominee’s ability to act in the best interests of the Company;
- Show how the election of the candidate as a Director will enhance the required balance and diversity of skills among Directors, in accordance with the Skills Matrix;
- Satisfy the core competencies established by the Board in accordance with the Skills Matrix;
- Be prepared to make a commitment for the term of the role;
- Be able to travel in Australia in order to fulfil the role; and
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply
An outline of relevant skills and experience and a skills matrix is available via the Basketball Australia website: https://oldsite.australia.basketball/about-basketball-australia/employment/
To apply, please email a short cover letter, resume and completed skills matrix to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Friday 26 March at 5:00pm AEDT.
Basketball Australia encourages people from different backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from different cultural backgrounds and people with disabilities.