SHIP is a 6-week program aimed at all young women aged 14-18 years of age.
The delivery of the program will provide the girls with both theory and practical activities, which will be fun, inclusive and delivered within a non-competitive environment.
Funded by the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Citizenship through the Diversity and Social Cohesion Program, SHIP will initially be launched in five states including Victoria, NSW, South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania - with plans to extend the program as it develops.
Key objectives of the SHIP program are to:
• Introduce the game of Basketball to Culturally and Linguistly Diverse (CALD) women
• Create cultural integration
• Encourage participation – make it fun and within a safe environment!
• Build on basketball interest
• Encourage diversity and inclusion in sport
• Promote DIAC Harmony Day and Anti-racism themes
• Increase membership/database
Click here for a video of Year 9 and year 10 girls from the Islamic College of Brisbane who will be participating in the SHIP basketball program next term.